Visiting a Family Food Tradition: Our Trip to Philippe's

This weekend we visited a family food tradition. What's interesting is that's not how it was planned but it's something we should do more often.

My husband's family is from  Los Angeles County. Last weekend, we went to Los Angeles for an Archives Bazaar at USC and decided to stroll down Olvera Street before heading home. As we parked I saw that across from us was Philippe French Dipped Sandwiches.

Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016


Philippe's is an Los Angeles institution and has been around since 1908.

Now I'm embarrassed to say that I really didn't know much about this restaurant except that my husband's cousin posted on Facebook that it was a favorite.

So after eating on Olvera Street I told my family that we were going to Philippe's to try their sandwiches. Mind you, no one was hungry. Yes, I see nothing wrong with having multiple meals at a time.

So we start walking to Phillipe's and my husband remarks that he thinks he ate there with his grandfather when they went to a Dodger game as a kid. So I explain that makes sense since his cousin is the one I got the idea from.

So long story short, of course he had ate there with his grandfather many decades ago. And now he was eating food with his son that he enjoyed with his grandfather.

This isn't the best photo since I dropped potato salad on our sandwich. See the Philippe's website for a better one. Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016


Now if you decide to go there, which I highly recommend you do, you need to know how ordering works. You basically stand in one of the lines at  the counter and when it's your turn you provide the "carver"  with your order. She puts it together right there and then you take your tray and sit down. The Philippe's website includes instructions on the "etiquette" of ordering.

Standing in line. Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016

A look beneath the counter. Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016

There's a lot on that menu besides French dipped sandwiches. There's even breakfast items as well as something I'd like to see on more menus.

Pickled eggs.

My family was actually surprised that I didn't buy the whole jar to take home. I wish I had....

Heaven in a jar. Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016

Pickled egg half. Photo by Gena Philibert-Ortega (c) 2016


Family food history is more than recipes, cookbooks and holiday food traditions. What restaurants did your family eat at? What about the generations prior? Have you considered visiting those places again and writing up that part of your family's food history?

Comments

Popular Posts