Food Friday: YWCA Bacon and Egg Pie

Today's recipe I found in a cookbook sitting in my office. I think it's one I recently bought but quite frankly, I'm not sure. Either way it's an interesting one.

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega


YWCA Cookbook has no date, no place. My guess is that it's from the Bakersfield (California) YWCA since the advertisements are for Bakersfield and Kern County. I would also guess that it's from the 1950s judging from the "interesting" recipes. I'm amazed at how many celery recipes it has including one I haven't seen before,  celery gravy.

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega


What I like most about community cookbooks is they reflect real life. If you go buy the latest mass produced cookbook the recipes are included because the author/compiler thinks that's what people want. But in a community cookbook people are sharing what they actually eat and take pride in.

So I love this recipe simply because of what it says under the title.

From the collection of Gena Philibert-Ortega


Of course I'm going to like it! It has bacon and cheese, so why wouldn't I? It appears to be a quiche which is always a delightful brunch dish (though I personally think it needs more eggs). Wonder why the author thought people may not like it?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts