Food Friday Follow-Up: German Potato Salad

This last Food Friday I posted a recipe for German Potato Salad. Lucky for me, my friend and fellow genealogist Gary Clark of PhotoTree.com tried the recipe.

Here's what he had to say:


(c) 2012 Gary Clark, PhotoTree.com. Used with Permission



"Loving German potato salad as I do, it was a no-brainer to give the recipe in your December 28th blog posting a try. For one, the recipe in Favourite Recipes looked simple, and it was. Since the cook book came from Motley, Minnesota, I assumed there were some  German descendants that offered their family favorite."

"I used the ingredients as specified, knowing I could jazz up the recipe on a second try. I took some minor liberties on a couple items, only because they weren't precisely specified.  I used red potatoes, they seem to hold up better while boiling, and left the skin on. I also sliced them before I boiled them.  You just have to watch them closely as they will be cooked in a short 10 minutes or so.  Also, slicing them before boiling keeps you from turning them into mush while trying to slice them once they are cooked."

"I made the sauce as written.  Used red onions as a personal preference, and I probably used a little more bacon than called for. No one complains about too much bacon however.  It also said to grate the onion.  I really didn't want to start crying from the fumes that grating would cause, so I just diced them."

(c) 2012 Gary Clark, PhotoTree.com. Used with Permission.


"This was easy to make, with all the ingredients already in most cupboards. I tried a quick faux wienerschnitzel using thin sliced boneless pork chops. Pounded them even thinner, adding pepper and flour in between poundings.  Fried quickly in a hot skillet with olive oil.  It was not really authentic schnitzel, but pretty good anyway."

"I will make the potato salad again, probably adding a little more vinegar for a bit more bite. Of course this is personal taste."


"Kudos for including this cookbook and recipe in your blog."


Thanks Gary!


Comments

Popular Posts