Food.Family.Ephemera on Genealogy Gems

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to Lisa Louise Cooke's home, sitting with her, and talking about my new book From the Family Kitchen. We had a great afternoon and even spent some time using one of her grandmother's kitchen gadgets, the Toas-Tite. (I definitely need to purchase one of those. To learn more about it see the video mentioned below).

You can find that interview with Lisa on the Genealogy Gems podcast page. The interview is part of  Episode 137. If you scroll to the end of that podcast's blog page you will see a special offer for my book, good until the end of this month.

The videos for part of the interview and the cooking segment can be found on YouTube (shown below).



A special Thank You to Lisa for inviting me over and spotlighting my book. Lisa and I love some of the same things including quilts, vintage kitchen items and researching female ancestors. I had such a great time talking to Lisa and looking over her collections.

Comments

  1. Wow... how interesting. I did not know what a Toastite was, but when I saw it on your video, I recognized it immediately. I do not remember what it was called at that time, but my mother had one in the late 1960's - early 1970's when I was growing up. She would use it over the stove to make hot ham and cheese sandwiches for our family. I did not know that it actually originated in the 1940's. It's fun to be reminded of things from one's childhood past. Thanks, for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gena,
    Enjoyed listening to your interview with Lisa... really good 'food for thought'. I really like the suggestion on scanning the recipe cards, clippings, etc.
    Had not thought about the recipe cards and cookbooks as a type of 'document' but really, what a great way to document women's lives on a practical, personal way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marilyn! I think many people don't consider those more "personal" items genealogically rich documents but they do provide us clues to the women in our family.

    The Toas-Tite is really cool. There is a website for them where you can learn more about them at http://toastite.biz/Home_Page.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children grew up with a Toastite; the married ones got them when the opportunity arose, and my husband and I just bought our second (I still have the "original") so that we can make 2 sandwiches at once. They work on both electric and gas stoves as well as over the campfire.

    Eagerly awaiting the delivery of your book (which I ordered over the weekend).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Sue, do you have a favorite Toas-Tite recipe? It's been fun to hear people talk about the Toas-Tite and I have been surprised at how many people still use it. I plan on getting one myself.

    Thanks for purchasing my book. I hope you enjoy it.

    Gena

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts